Integrating third party news content providers
While news content can be maintained manually by your team, we also offer integration with third party suppliers via RSS feeds.
For customers in the UK, we have a long standing relationship and integration with IRN and their supplier Sky News.
If you would like to show the content of a news provider on your website or mobile app, you'll need to request an RSS feed from the supplier and ensure they grant you permission to use their content in this way. Get in touch with us once you have obtained the RSS feed and we'll assess if it is compatible to be added to our system. If it is, we can regularly pull in the latest stories, so they're shown directly on your website. We cannot be held responsible for any issues you may incur as a result of integrating 3rd party feeds.
Our system expects certain properties of each article to be available in specific tags, otherwise we cannot show the content on your website.
The properties are as follows, with the tags listed in the order they're used if available:
- A unique identifier for each article. Without this, we cannot import articles. It must not change if the article is updated.
- Published date and time.
- Abstract. This should be the first line and description of the article.
- <description> - only if it isn't used for the body (see below) otherwise abstract will be blank.
- Body. The content of the article.
- Images. We'll try each of the following in this order:
- <media:content url=".....">
- <enclosure url=".....">
- <media:content url=".....">
- As a last resort, we'll look at the body and extract the URL from the first <img> tag found.
IRN (Independent Radio News) offer national and international news content to radio stations in the UK. Online content is available to stations in the form of regularly updated feeds and video streams. This content is supplied by Sky News.
Since 2009, IRN has also offered weather information through an arrangement with the Met Office.
To include this news and weather content on your site, you must:
- have the News and Weather platform apps as part of your website package
- have a digital content contract with IRN, which should be agreed directly with IRN
To have access to this content, IRN stipulate the station must carry certain advertising, both on air around news bulletins, and online around the digital content.
Online, stations must carry the Leaderboard, Skyscraper and MPU ad formats around all pages that carry the Sky News generated content, with the exception of the site homepage. Because of these requirements, articles from IRN are not eligible to appear in mobile apps.
There is no such stipulation for advertising around the Met Office content.
The categories of Sky News stories available are:
- Strange News
- UK News
- World News
An additional Videos category is compiled by us, comprising of the most recent stories from all categories with an associated video. IRN's digital content contract requires this to be included by all stations.