Isolation Mode in PlayoutONE Pro essentially takes away all the stresses and strains of restarting your Automation Server, allowing you to remain on the air whilst the restart happens. When the time comes to restart the main server, the On-Air Studio can be put into Isolation Mode by following the instructions below. This effectively tells the On-Air Machine to run from its own local SQL Server and use twelve hours of cached audio from its own local AudioStore.
Whilst in Isolation Mode, you’ll see a yellow triangle on the On-Air Machine, this acts as a confirmation and warning you that you are now in Isolation Mode. On all other client machines, you will see a red triangle, indicating that the On-Air Machine is in Isolation Mode. This is important as once Isolation Mode is enabled, no audio or log changes can be made to the main database. This is because the On-Air Machine is now in charge and is constantly syncing back to the On-Air database to ensure no changes or data is lost.
Isolation mode is only designed for short periods of time and takes away the need for having a CD, Spotify or YouTube whilst you perform maintenance. Once the server has restarted, the On-Air machine can be taken out of Isolation Mode once all changes have been synced back to the main database.
Before you can run in Isolation mode make sure you have the considered the following:
- Isolation mode only works when the On-Air Machine(s) is separate from the Server.
- On the On-Air Machine(s) make sure you have installed a copy of SQL Server Express
- Make sure the C:\PlayoutONE or D:\PlayoutONE folder is shared with everyone on your network and permissions have been set appropriately so the server can read and write to this share. Once shared make sure the following folders exist in the share:
- Make sure you have the latest PlayoutONE Monitor installed and configured as below
- Ensure Monitor is running on the Server machine.
- Make sure settings for Replicate Audio & Database are checked in Station Settings under Options tab.
- Click Save.
- You can now view the status of the replication by right-clicking on the station in the grid on the front screen of Monitor.
Enabling & Disabling Isolation Mode In PlayoutONE
- Check with Monitor that replication is running ok. Do this by following the steps above
- Go into the PlayoutONE Settings and click the SQL tab
- If Isolation Mode is available to you then you'll see the checkbox to enable it and also a button to enter Isolation Mode.
- Once you enter Isolation Mode, you will see a yellow triangle on the On-Air Machine and a red triangle on any other connected machines to the main database.
- If you are going into Isolation Mode to take your main server offline, please ensure that the current playing item is playing from the local cache before taking the server down. If it is, a hard disk icon as shown in the screenshot below will be displayed on the On-Air Dashboard
- To leave Isolation Mode, PlayoutONE Monitor Must be running. This ensures all changes are synced.
- Go Into PlayoutONE Settings and click the Leave Isolation Mode Button
- You can also tick the setting Automatically Activate Isolation Mode so that in the event of a connectivity issue between the server and on-air machine, PlayoutONE can automatically failover to Isolation Mode. When Isolation Mode is activated automatically you must manually disable it.